Monday, April 6, 2009

My mother was released to go home on hospice last Thursday. I've been here at her house ever since. She seems to be resting comfortably, free of pain, and still able to talk to all of us and we have been sharing stories of our lives together. She is at peace with everything that is happening. She is unable to eat or take meds. She is barely taking any water at this time either. Everything she swallows just comes back up. It has been difficult to switch my mind from treating to just keeping her comfortable but that his the hospice philosophy and I understand that treating her will not change the ultimate outcome. We have been so fortunate that she is not suffering. She told me this morning that she is tired. Soon we will need to tell her it is OK to go but I don't think we are there yet. Hospice believes she may pass away this week or the next. Her body will not last long without nourishment or medications. This morning the chaplain was here and he sang to her. I heard her sweet voice singing along, How Great Thou Art, and Amazing Grace. My mother still has a beautiful voice and it sounded so sweet as they sang together. I could always pick out her voice in the choir at church when I was a little girl. Of course I thought she had the most beautiful voice of all. I am trying to memorize every word she says to me now. She told me she feels our love and I assured her that we feel hers as well. So many friends and family have been here to see her and tell her how much she has meant to them. My niece came from Muskogee yesterday and while she was here she was looking through a photograph album. In the album she found pages and pages written by my mother documenting the story of her life. None of us even knew that she had written this. I sat in her room last night and read it to my mother. She just smiled hearing her own words telling the story of her life as a child, a young mother and grandmother. It was very special and such a treasure for all of us to keep. I'm going to type it up later and make sure everyone gets a copy. Mother is sleeping now and I think I will get some rest myself. Please keep her in your prayers even though you may have never met. She is the sweetest, kindest, most unselfish woman I have ever known and to know her is to love her.

1 comment:

kenju said...

I will indeed pray for her. I am thinking as I read this that your mom is lucky to be ending her life as she is, with time to say goodbye and with the realization that she is loved and appreciated. So many have to die quickly or violently, and we don't have that closure that we need - and they need. I like what you said about it:

"I understand that treating her will not change the ultimate outcome."

I have seen too many people try to prolong the life of the elderly, when it is obvious that they don't want to be here any longer. Again, your mom is lucky.

I hope she will continue not to have pain.